ISS ESG is the responsible investment arm of Institutional Shareholder Services Inc., a leading provider of environmental, social, and governance solutions for asset owners, asset managers, hedge funds, and asset servicing providers. With vast experience in the provision of in-depth responsible investment research, data, and analytics, ISS ESG has the unique understanding of the requirements of institutional investors.
With its comprehensive offering of solutions, ISS ESG enables investors to develop and integrate responsible investing policies and practices, engage on responsible investment issues, and monitor portfolio company practices through screening solutions. It also provides climate data, analytics, and advisory services to help financial market participants understand, measure, and act on climate-related risks across all asset classes. In addition, ISS ESG delivers corporate and country ESG research and ratings, enabling its clients to identify material environmental, social, and governance risks and opportunities.
Key Features and Coverage on RIMES
ISS ESG Carbon & Climate Impact Data
- Ex-post and ex-ante analysis to identify portfolio risk
- Measurement and reporting pertaining to climate change impact on portfolio
- Investment in climate-based data to mitigate risks and seize opportunities
- ISS ESG Carbon & Climate Impact: This data feed incorporates climate and carbon-based data and covers climate risk factors for over 23,000 global companies.
- Carbon Risk Rating: Assesses the climate-related performance for a subset of the universe, taking into account not only industry-specific challenges and risk profiles, but also a company’s positive impact.
- Potential Avoided Emissions data: Measures the emissions for global utility companies that are saved by a company’s products or services.
ISS ESG Corporate Rating
- Assessment of sustainability performance on a best-in-class basis with comparative analysis of peers’ methods and procedures on key issues.
- Identify correlations between sustainability and financial performance with over 35 ESG rating scores and underlying categories, including Prime ratings, performance scores, areas of concern, and more.
- Incorporate model outputs into risk management, portfolio construction, engagement, and proxy voting strategies, while relying on a highly detailed and transparent methodology.
- Assessment of environmental, social and governance performance that is sector-specific and forward-looking, including in-depth research on sustainability performances for public and private companies.
- The Prime Status label is awarded to companies with the best ESG scores, where they meet specific minimum standards in successfully managing sustainability-related risks and opportunities.
- Data history is available from 2006 for 5,000+ public and private companies (Note: not all companies are available for all historical time periods)
ISS ESG Governance QualityScore
- Integrate non-financial data into fundamental investment processes so risks and opportunities are automatically included as part of the research mosaic.
- Identify and target portfolio companies that have poor governance practices, construct portfolios around governance, and leverage governance issues effectively when making investment decisions.
- Better understand a company’s approach to governance over time with historical scores and data that can provide greater context and help to uncover trends, through the point-in time nature of the feed.
- The ISS ESG Governance QualityScore is an objective, point-in-time, data-driven tool that enables measurement and identification of corporate risk in Board Structure, Compensation programs, Shareholder Rights, and Audit & Risk Oversight.
- Data history is available for 7,800 global companies from 2013, utilizing the current methodology. (Note: not all companies are available for all historical time periods)