MSCI is the leading provider of tools for understanding the drivers of performance and risk in investment portfolios. They have a practitioner’s perspective that comes not only from our experience as former investors, but also from what they learn in the hundreds of meetings they have with asset managers and asset owners every week. Their long-standing relationships with their clients are collaborations in which they explore and test new ideas together.
MSCI Analytics’ Strengths:
1. Renowned research team – MSCI is well known for innovation in risk, beginning with Barra factor-based analytics and RiskMetrics foundational research in VaR and stress testing. Today, their team work in close collaboration with clients and regulators to develop an ongoing stream of new risk models and methodologies.
2. Independence – MSCI is an independent firm not affiliated with any administrator, bank or asset manager. They offer objective, best-practice methodologies based on their research and interactions with their clients.
3. Broad asset coverage – They cover a broad range of liquid and illiquid asset classes, including equity, fixed income, hedge funds, energy, commodities and real estate. Their clients are located in over 80 countries and represent every investor segment, driving the demand for coverage of new and complex assets.
4. Leadership in factors – Equity factor investing was pioneered in the 1970s based on the research, data and analytics created by Barra, today part of MSCI. In recent years, MSCI has developed a broad range of indexes and analytical models that provide institutional investors with tools for evaluating factors and incorporating factor strategies into their portfolios.
5. High-volume processing – MSCI’s risk engine is built for scale, processing more than 400 billion calculations every day to help their clients conduct thousands of stress tests and complex simulations.
6. Dedicated client support – Working out of offices in financial centers around the world, they are always available to support our clients when and where they need them.
The RIMES Managed Data Service is a complementary service for MSCI Analytics users who wish to benefit from nearly 1,000 data sources from over 200 data partners at RIMES, covering all asset classes.
RIMES is able to feed the following systems:
- Barra Aegis
- Barra One